In ModNation Racers and ModNation Racers for the PlayStation Portable, players will be quickly redirected into Mod Studio, the place where players create, edit, select, and remix Mods. Using the Share Station, Mods, Karts, and Tracks can be downloaded, published, remixed, and shared with the ModNation community. Mods are the player's representative in the game and are used as the player's representative in online races.
Mods are heavily influenced by the designer toy scene, and a blank Mod (otherwise known as a "platform") bears some similarity to the shape of kidrobot's do-it-yourself Munny figures. Since they are essentially a blank canvas, players can modify their Mod's appearance as lightly or as heavily as they wish in Mod Studio - the customization options allow them to develop anything from an abstract art piece, to recreations of real life people, and even clones of fiction characters. This extreme level of customizability is also available with Karts in Kart Studio.
Mods have a humanoid body, with a large head shaped similar to an upside down egg, two arms, and two legs. Blank Mods are a solid off-white color, and are made out of rubber. Players can change this white color and rubber material to whatever color they want or need. Players can also add a Skin, and place multiple Stickers to decorate a Mod, and both items are also customizable in color and material. Players also are able to use Odds 'N Ends, three dimensional objects which can be placed on a Mod's Head.
Features of a ModEdit
These are the customizable parts of a Mod. *Star means only some of the items have this feature customizable.
- Body (Color, Skins, Material, Stickers)
- Skins (Color, Material)
- Head (Category)
- Eyes (Color, Material+Transparency, Location, Scale, Rotate, Transparency, Skew and Stretch, Flip)
- Mouths (Color* (Lips mouths only, other mouths are fixed color and will crash the game on attempts to change the color), Location, Scale, Rotate, Transparency, Skew and Stretch, Flip)
- Noses (Color, Material+Transparency, Location, Scale, Rotate, Transparency, Skew and Stretch, Flip)
- Ears (Color, Material, Skins, Location, Scale, Rotate)
- Hair (Color only)
- Facial Hair (Color, Location, Scale, Rotate)
- Eyewear (Color only)
- Headgear (Color* (all except Chief's Stuff), Skins* (Sticker Friendly only), Stickers* (Sticker Friendly only))
- Masks (Color only)
- Clothing (Category)
- Stickers (Color, Type, Location, Scale, Rotation, Height, Transparency, Skew and Stretch, Material, Limit of forty-five Unique Stickers and 350 Stickers total)
- Odds 'N Ends (Color, Location, Scale, Rotation, Limit of eight unique and sixteen total)
- Voices (None)
User-generated Mods are mods that are created by the people that play ModNation Racers. They vary in many ways, including clothing, color, and others. They can be published and downloaded by other racers.
Elite Mods are the top ranked Mods of the MRC, and star in one of the Tracks in the Career. The player races against them following the Mayhem Tour, some examples being Drillbit, Shadow, Dyno, and Espresso.
Premium Mods are racers that are made by UFG as DLC, or Pre-order bonuses. Some examples are Sackboy, Kratos, Van Man, Air Raid, Sweettooth, and CM Mod. These Mods are only available in ModNation Racers, but the parts included in the respective creation kits are included in ModNation Racers: Road Trip and require no DLC, however, they must be unlocked in ModExplorer, or by purchasing an Unlock-All Key from the PlayStation Store, which also unlocks all parts gained from Career Mode and Token purchases.
UFG Racer ModsEdit
In addition to User-Generated and Elite Mods, games in the ModNation Racers series also features a group of racers that fill the slots during any given race. While not fleshed out, these Mods are a great example of the potential for customization available in the ModNation Racers series.
Elite Mod ThugsEdit
In ModNation Racers: Road Trip races, there are sometimes multiple Mods that are Elite Thug Mods, but with different names.